To get either UC or PUA benefits, you are required to prove your identity. Usually, you will be given a link to ID.me. You should use ID.me if you can. It is automatic and, for many people, quick. For those having trouble with ID.me, the State has created a new alternative: you can get help at a CareerLink office in your city or county. Here’s how you do it.
Step 1: Call your CareerLink to see if you need an appointment.
Step 2: Take the proper documents to CareerLink. The following are the preferred documents (and may be demanded). But if you don’t have these, take what you do have. You are asked to bring one document from each category.
Category #1: Valid state or federal government issued photo IDs
1. Social Security card
2. A current, unexpired driver’s license or photo ID card
3. A United States passport
4. Military ID card
5. Alien Registration card
Category #2: Secondary documents could be:
1. A birth certificate
2. Voter ID card
3. W-2 or other tax record
4. Financial institution documents (account statement, loan document, etc.)
5. Vehicle registration/title
If you don’t have documents from #2, think of and bring other documents that show you are you, such as bills or membership cards. Bring as many documents as you can.
Step 3: CareerLink staff will copy your documents and have you sign a form 393. They will send to the Unemployment office for review
Step 4: You also need to send or upload your documents to the State. Ask the CareerLink for a copy of form 393. CareerLink may also be able to help with uploading/emailing of that form plus copies of your identity documents. Options for sending the documents:
1. US Mail:
Department of Labor & Industry
c/o Mail Processing Unit
651 Boas St, 5th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17121
2. Email: RA-LI-Fax7177246952@pa.gov. Attach to the email scans or photos of original documents.
3. Upload: From the PUA or UC dashboard, choose “Provide Additional Documentation.” Email email@example.com to inform the State that the documents are available for review. Staff will not know you have uploaded documents unless they are notified.