What you need to know
EVERYONE who gets SNAP is getting extra benefits, called “emergency allotments” (EAs), in April 2021 and can spend them without worry. EAs are to help with food costs during the pandemic.
- Before now, EAs were only going to households that did not get the maximum SNAP benefits for their family size. Those EAs will remain the same for nearly all households.
- As a result of a lawsuit Community Legal Services settled with USDA, EAs will now also go to households that receive the maximum benefit.
- DHS does not have time to mail notices. Please spread the word!
Will I get extra SNAP benefits?
YES, everyone who receives SNAP will receive an Emergency Allotment (EA). The EA amount you get depends on 1) your household size, and 2) if you are already getting the maximum benefit amount for your household (see chart).
- If the SNAP benefits you got in the first half of April were less than the maximum amount for your household size, your EA will bring you up to the maximum benefit.
- For example, if you are a 3-person household and got $200 in SNAP, you will get $416 to bring you up to the $616 maximum benefit.
- If you got the maximum SNAP benefit amount for your household size in the first half of April, your EA for April only* will be half (50%) of the maximum SNAP benefit.
- For example, if you are a 3-person household and got $616 in SNAP in early April, your EA for April will be $308.
- Starting in May, the minimum EA for all households will be $95.
When will I get my Emergency Allotment?
Your EA will be loaded to your EBT card in the second half of the month. See the payment chart below,
Will I need to turn in paper work or apply to get the extra SNAP benefits?
No. You don’t need to fill out extra paper work. The extra SNAP benefits will be added to your EBT card and you’ll be able to use it just like regular SNAP.
|Extra SNAP Benefits Issuance Day|
|Last Digit of your Record #||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||0|
|You will receive your extra payment this day of April, 2021||16||19||20||21||22||23||26||27||28||29|
Extra SNAP benefits are now available for April 2021!
If you get SNAP, you will get extra benefits on your EBT card to help buy food during the COVID-19 crisis.
- In late December, Congress approved a temporary 15% boost to the SNAP maximum benefit amount.
- This change will be in place for the next six months, from Jan. 1 – June 30, 2021.
- The new maximum amounts for each household size are listed in the chart to the right.
When will I get the extra SNAP benefits?
- The date your extra SNAP benefits will be put on your EBT card is based on the last number of your case record number. To find your April payment date:
- Find the last number (0-9) of your record number on a DHS notice, or using MyCOMPASS online.
- Find your number on the top row of the chart above.
- For example, if your record number ends in 5, you will get your extra SNAP benefits on April 22
Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefit by Household Size
|Household Size||Maximum Benefit|
|Each add’l member||$176|