Extra SNAP benefits are now available for January 2021!
If you get SNAP, you will get extra benefits on your EBT card to help buy food during the COVID-19 crisis.
- In late December, Congress approved a temporary 15% boost to the SNAP maximum benefit amount.
- This change will be in place for the next six months, from Jan. 1 – June 30, 2021.
- The new maximum amounts for each household size are listed in the chart to the right.
When will I get the extra SNAP benefits?
- · In January, you will get your regular SNAP benefit – the amount before the added 15% – on your EBT card on the day you usually receive your benefits.
- The added 15% will be put on your EBT card in the second half of January (see chart below).
- If you get a SNAP Emergency Allotment (EA), the EA and 15% will come together (find more about EAs on the back of this flyer).
- Starting in February and through June of 2021, you will receive your new SNAP benefit amount on your regular payment day in the first half of the month.
When is the payment date for my extra SNAP?
- Your payment date is based on the last digit of your case record number.
- You can find your record number on a DHS notice, using your MyCOMPASS Account, or by calling the Customer Service Center (Phila.: 215-560-7226; Statewide: 877-395-8930).
- Find the last digit of your record number on the top row of the chart below. For example, if your record number ends in 5, you will get your extra SNAP on January 25.
|Extra SNAP Benefits Issuance Day|
|Last Digit of your Record #||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||0|
|You will receive your extra payment this day of January, 2021||19||20||21||22||25||26||27||28||29||29|
What you need to know
Emergency Allotments (EAs) are separate from the 15% SNAP benefits boost.
- For now, only those who are not getting the maximum SNAP benefit receive EAs.
- EAs will continue so long as both the federal and state public health emergency declarations remain in effect.
- From Jan. 1 – June 30, 2021, the EA will bring households who get a partial benefit up to the new maximum amount for their household size that includes the 15% SNAP boost
Will I get extra SNAP benefits?
Yes, if you got SNAP in January and did not get the maximum amount for your household size.
- For example, if you are a 3-person household and currently get $200 per month, you will get $416 to bring you up to the new maximum benefit ($616) for a household of 3.
- If you already get the maximum benefit for your household size, you will not get an EA in January, though this may change in future months.*
When will I get my Emergency Allotment?
Your EA will be loaded to your EBT card in the second half of the month. See the payment chart above.
Will I need to turn in paper work or apply to get the extra SNAP benefits?
No. You don’t need to fill out extra paper work. The extra SNAP benefits will be added to your EBT card and you’ll be able to use it just like regular SNAP.
As a result of CLS’s successful legal challenge to USDA’s interpretation of Emergency Allotments in the “Families First Act” (H.R. 6201), DHS may soon be able to issue EAs to all Pennsylvania SNAP households.
Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefit by Household Size
|Household Size||Maximum Benefit|
|Each add’l member||$176|