Community Legal Services does not help people apply for Social Security Benefits. You can apply for benefits by:
Telephone: You can call 1 (800) 772-1213 (between 7 a.m.-7 p.m.) to schedule an appointment to apply for Social Security Benefits.
In person: You can also apply for Social Security Benefits by walking in to your local Social Security Office. You can use the the Social Security Officer Locator to find the nearest office: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp.
Online: You can apply for some Social Security benefits online at www.ssa.gov (not SSI).
Tips For Applying For Social Security Benefits If You Are Disabled:
You do not need to bring anything with you to apply for Social Security Benefits, including photo identification.
However, if you have it, it is a good idea to bring the following with you:
- Photo Identification
- Names and contact information for any doctors you are seeing
- Names and contact information for any therapists, specialists, or other medical professionals you are seeing
- Names of any hospitals where you have received treatment
- Names of any medications you are taking and what they are for
- Names and contact information of any case manager who is assisting you
- Your address and phone numbers
- Be ready to explain how your physical or mental health problems make it difficult to do things in your life and at home
Medical Records: You do not need to bring medical records to the Social Security office, but if you have any, hand them in after making a copy. Do not give Social Security your ONLY copy of your medical records.