- American Bar Association gives Award of Merit to the Philadelphia Bar Association for its leadership in making legal services available to all regardless of their ability to pay.
- Law and the War on Poverty in Philadelphia by William R. Klaus is published by the Public Service Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association in response to the growing and overwhelming need for legal services.
- Judge Raymond Pace Alexander, of the Court of Common Pleas, grants CLS’ charter over objection. The new organization places attorneys in existing anti-poverty program offices in neighborhoods throughout Philadelphia.
- CLS opens its own small neighborhood offices around the city.
- Shapiro v. Thompson, welfare residency laws declared unconstitutional because they deny an individual the right to travel.