Site Tools

Current Size: 100%

Personal Care Homes

Personal Care Homes

Personal care homes (“PCH”) are residential homes that require a license from the Department of Public Welfare whenever 4 or more people with personal care needs who are unrelated to the operator live in the home. It does not matter if the home is providing personal care services; if 4 of the people who live in the home need personal care, then the home must be licensed.   Personal care homes are supposed to be a safe, humane, comfortable, and supportive residential setting for residents who require assistance with various activities of daily living (ADLs).  It is important to know that personal care homes are not a substitute for a nursing home, and these homes are not an institutional setting. Residents of personal care homes have a level of care need far different from nursing home residents. Also, if a resident receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the resident’s full income goes to the personal care home and the resident is given a monthly personal allowance of $90.

What we can do: 

CLS will directly represent PCH residents in such areas as involuntary discharge, resident rights issues and quality of care concerns.  CLS will also file complaints to the licensing agency, Adult Residential Licensing, if it is suspected that a home is operating illegally without a license.  If appropriate, CLS will also refer a resident to the long term care ombudsman for further assistance.

How to get help:

Walk-in Intake

Community Legal Services
North Philadelphia Law Center

1410 West Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19140
Monday & Wednesday
9:00 am -12:00 pm

*If a PCH resident is unable to travel to our offices for walk-in Intake, a CLS advocate may travel to the personal care home to meet the resident and conduct an Intake at the PCH. 

Phone Intake

For Homebound Seniors ONLY
(215) 227-2400

CLS’ Aging and Disabilities Unit is supported in part by funding provided by PCA and the Pennsylvania Department of Aging.
PCA Logo