Site Tools

Current Size: 100%

Licenses and Inspections

Licenses and Inspections

If you get notice of a violation, it is important not to ignore it. It is usually useful to communicate with L&I to understand what is needed to correct the violation. L&I often allows additional time to resolve the problem as long as they know you are working on it.

If the City files a code violation case in Municipal Court, you must attend the hearing unless you are certain that the case has been resolved. Be sure to be there on time. Otherwise, a decision could be entered against you by default and you could be held responsible for fines or fees.  Cases filed in Common Pleas Court are more complicated and usually require a lawyer to file a written response in a format that complies with court rules.

If you do not speak English, L&I is required to communicate with you in your own language. CLS may be able to help you if this is a problem.

If you need assistance to make the repairs required by L&I, there are several programs that provide home repair grants or low-interest loans to low-income homeowners. Unfortunately, waiting lists can be very long. For more information, see Home Repair.

Be sure to bring all your paperwork when you come to CLS.

What we can do: 

CLS provides limited legal advice to homeowners who have outstanding housing code violations from the Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I). CLS does not generally provide legal representation in these cases.

How to get help:

Walk-in Intake

Community Legal Services
North Philadelphia Law Center

1410 West Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19140
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
9:00 am -12:00 pm