Site Tools

Current Size: 100%

Landlord-Tenant Private Housing

Landlord-Tenant Private Housing

CLS provides legal representation and advice to low-income tenants who are renters in non-subsidized housing in Philadelphia County. We provide, when possible, counsel in cases involving eviction, illegal lockouts, unlawful termination of utilities, homes in disrepair, and Complaints before the Philadelphia Fair Housing Commission. Tenants who reside in subsidized housing should go to our Public Housing page.

When you come in for legal help you must bring:

  • A copy of your lease (if you have a written lease)
  • Any court papers you have
  • Rent receipts
  • Proof of income

Due to capacity issues, CLS staff are sometimes not able to see all new walk-in clients on a given day. If this is the case, you may be asked for your contact information for a phone follow-up about your issue.

If you are having repair or heat problems, call L & I at 311- you can still see us on intake, too. The sooner L & I finds a heat violation, the sooner a tenant may get heat.


How to get help:

Walk-in Intake

Community Legal Services
Center City Office

1424 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Monday through Thursday
9:00 am - 12:00 pm

Landlord Tenant Help Center
Philadelphia Municipal Court
1339 Chestnut St. 10th Floor
Monday through Thursday
9:30am - 2pm

Phone Intake

Live 11am-7pm Monday - Friday
​Leave message 24 hours. All messages will be returned within 24-48 hours.

Emergency messages left over the weekend will be returned within 24 hours.