Site Tools

Current Size: 100%



When a person passes away and leaves money, land, or things in their name, you must go through a legal process to transfer ownership to the heirs left behind.  This process, called estate administration (or probate) is controlled by the courts.  There are times that ownership passes directly without needing estate administration.  This happens when special ownership is set up during a person’s life.  For information on making plans for your own estate, check out our wills section.

Other problems that may surface include the state asking for repayment for medical expenses of the deceased person.

What we can do: 

CLS provides advice on about inheritance, estate administration, and probate.  When the matter involves a house, we can sometimes refer the case for free help in getting the house in to the correct name.

How to get help:

Walk-in Intake

Community Legal Services
North Philadelphia Law Center

1410 West Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19140
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
9:00 am -12:00 pm

Philadelphia Legal Assistance
718 Arch Street, Suite 300N
Philadelphia, PA 19106-1535
Monday, Wednesday
9:00 am – 11:30 am

Phone Intake

Philadelphia Legal Assistance
Tuesday, Thursday
9:30 am – 12:00 pm

CLS’ Aging and Disabilities Unit is supported in part by funding provided by PCA and the Pennsylvania Department of Aging.
PCA Logo